Manages (Internal): Accounting Staff
Core Competencies / Requirements
Education: Bachelor’s Degree .
10+ years of progressively responsibleexperience for a major company or division of a large corporation and at least 5years within the petroleum marketing / convenience store industry industry. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designations.
Communication: Excellent written, verbal, electronic.
Self-Management: Proactive leader who identifies business opportunities. Independently complete tasks within specified timelines.
Analytics: Honed analytical skills focused on problem solving and process improvement.
Interpersonal Relationships: Honest, polite, friendly, professional appearance, comfortable dealing with people.
Initiative: Ability to begin and follow through with a plan or task. Track record of developing and implementing strategic objectives for the company and personnel.
Presentation Skills: Adept at presenting to board as well as mentoring in the field.
The Controller will maximize return on financial assets by establishing financial policies, procedures, controls, and reporting systems. Primarily in an office environment. Will be expected to travel as needed to company subsidiaries, as well as to potential acquisition target companies to conduct due diligence.
Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Maximizes return, and limits risk, on cash by minimizing bank balances; making investments.
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidatingfinancial data; recommending plans.
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financialreports; advising management on needed actions.
- Ensures operation of equipment by establishing preventive maintenance requirements and service contracts; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Completes operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; following up on work results.
- Maintains financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees.
- Maintains financial staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing.